Johnson City Wrestling has enjoyed unparalleled success over the years thanks to the numerous outstanding individuals who have led the Wildcats to sectional, STAC, and New York State championships. J. J. Stanbro, JCHS Class of 1989 is one of the individuals who led JC wrestling to the heights it has reached.
Mr. Stanbro’s varsity career began as a 7th grader in the winter season of 1983. He would go on to earn six varsity letters in wrestling. By the time he wrapped up his senior season in 1989, J.J. was the leader in career victories for Johnson City and for all of New York State with an amazing 188 wins. His career accomplishments speak for themselves:
- State runner-up in the 1989 New York State Wrestling Tournament
- New York State—USA Grand Champion Ring Recipient
- 3rd Place Freestyle at Jr. National Tournament
- 3rd Place Greco-Roman at the largest wrestling tournament in the world
- 121 Career Pins
- 19 Career Tournament Championships
- 4-Time Gold Medal Winner—NYS Empire State Games
- 3-Time High School All-American
- The first ever six-time Section IV place winner
In addition to his many individual achievements, J.J. was a member of Johnson City’s back-to-back state championship wrestling teams in 1987 and 1988. J.J. continued his wrestling career at Clarion University where he was a four year starter and a member of the 1994 team that finished 6th in the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.
J.J. spent six season as the head varsity wrestling coach at Union-Endicott where he led the team to a section IV title, a 2nd place finish in the New York State rankings, and where he guided 3 wrestlers to individual state titles. He now spends his time coaching little league, T-ball, and Pee Wee Wrestling for his children’s teams.
The Johnson City Athletic Hall of Fame is proud to welcome one of the most decorated Wildcat wrestlers in the program’s history, J.J. Stanbro, Class of 1989.